Aquatics Head Lifeguard
The position involves providing mentorship to staff while performing lifeguard and instructional duties, delivering weekly in-service trainings, a variety of custodial and facility maintenance tasks and assisting with the operation and delivery of aquatic programs, and special events.
This role requires the individual to demonstrate strong leadership abilities and possess a functional knowledge of pool chemistry and operating procedures. The Head Lifeguard is positive and responsive when dealing with the public and performs as a professional and dedicated team player in providing the best possible aquatic service to the community.
This role works with other members of the aquatic leadership team on a rotating shift at both locations; scheduled hours will be dependent upon the pool schedule and may include early mornings, days, afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Flexibility in scheduling is required.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborates regularly with the Aquatics Program Coordinator to ensure a consistent approach to overall leadership of the team; is an effective team player
- Assists in the development of staff scheduling, adjusting staff work schedules, assigning extra tasks and supporting the Aquatics Program Coordinator to fill shift vacancies
- May be required to instruct aquatic leadership courses, including but not limited to, Bronze Medallion and Bronze Cross
- Monitor activities of the swimming pools by providing the highest standard of lifeguarding with an emphasis on the prevention of accidents and injuries
- Conduct tasks such as pressure washing, painting, cleaning, inspections, and inventory, for the pool in consultation with the Aquatics Program Coordinator.
- Organize and oversee various facility events. These can include swimming lessons, private rentals, aquafit, swim team, and more.
- Perform pool tests and pool maintenance duties in a safe manner.
- Maintain records and reports regarding daily attendance, water quality and condition, and incidents and accidents.
- Completes daily operational checks
- Responsible for the opening and closing of the aquatic center and oversee the daily operations of the pool
- Accept admission, rental, program, drop-in fees and sell available products and services.
- Provides excellent customer service to all internal and external customers including front desk support. Expected to answer any questions or concerns that patrons may have
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- National Lifeguard Pool (NL), or willing to obtain prior to start date.
- Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor, or willing to obtain prior to start date.
- Standard First Aid - CPR C/AED, or willing to obtain prior to start date.
- Aquatic Supervisor Training Certificate, or willing to obtain prior to start date.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record
- Minimum 2 years lifeguarding experience
- Knowledge of the methods, tools, and equipment used in lifeguarding as well as lifeguarding rules, regulations and practices.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and skilled in the application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
- Physical strength, stamina and coordination to carry out the duties of the position.
- Valid Drivers Licence
How To Apply
Successful candidate must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment. The Township will comply with its Human Rights obligations and accommodate employees who are legally entitled to accommodation.
We encourage applications from youth who self-identify as being part of the groups which are underrepresented or have additional barriers to the labour market, including recent immigrant youth and recent refugee youth, youth who have not previously been employed and for whom this would be their first job experience, youth with disabilities, visible minorities and LGBTQ2 youth.
For a full job description or to apply please send resume and cover letter to:
Township of Wellington North
Tasha Grafos | Community Recreation Coordinator
Deadline: 12:00 PM Friday March 31,2023
*interviews will be held via zoom*
Please note the Township will cover 50% of the cost to obtain certifications for new lifeguards and 100% of the cost to recertify existing lifeguards.
Lifeguard certifications include: National Lifeguard Pool, Lifesaving Society Swim for Life Instructor, Standard First Aid, CPC “C”, Aquatic Supervisor Training (Head Lifeguards).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. Wellington North is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation for disabilities will be provided, upon request, to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process. Personal information in relation to the recruitment and hiring process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.