- Ensure safe, clean and efficient operation of the Museum.
- Facilitate visitors, events and tours at the Museum.
- Research and provide historical information to guests and potential guests of the museum
A- Ensure the Safe, Clean and Efficient Operations of the properties, equipment and facilities associated with the Palmerston Train Museum
- Liaise with volunteer Railway Heritage Museum Board attending meetings as required
- Create and maintain assigned thematic displays
- Update, maintain and record an inventory of museum holdings including sales and inventory of merchandise and souvenirs
- Preparing materials under the direction of the Business & Economic Manager to promote and market the museum
- Establish database for distribution of museum information
- Collect revenues and keep accurate account of sales and donations, and make deposits to Town of Minto accounts
- Assist with set up, operation, and clean up of special events for the season as required such as the Farmers Market and Handcar Races
- Ensure a safe and clean environment in the assigned facilities assets and related equipment at all times
- Respond to emergency situations as required (i.e. first aid treatment)
- Provide Board with a summary of the work experience with recommendations for future activities.
B- Facilitate visitors, events and tours for the Palmerston Train Museum.
- Greet visitors and facilitate guided tours of the museum and maintain a visitors log
- Under the guidance of the Business & Economic Manager, work with regional tourism organizations to promote and increase visits to the community
- Contact local schools in May and June to facilitate elementary school visits and secondary school usage of the hand cars on site
C- Research and provide historical information to guests and potential guests of the museum
- Study history of Palmerston and surrounding area including the impact of the railway on the community with special emphasis on the influence of confederation on local railway development (materials to be supplied by museum)
- Record oral histories through interviews with local citizens
- Research and record local history using both on site and off site microfilm and computer resource
- Consult and cooperate with staff of Wellington County Museums on items of mutual interest.
- Basic genealogy (family tree) research training will be provided in order for the student to be equipped to conduct genealogy searches upon request
- Digitization of local newspaper and other significant artifacts currently on microfilm
- Update the Museum Website and post and respond on social media sites
Other duties as assigned by the Business & Economic Manager, Facilities Manager and Volunteer Museum Administrator.
- Accepted or currently enrolled in Post-Secondary School studying Political Science, History or related field of study
- A current Class G Driver’s License
- CSA Certified Safety Boots Are required
- Ability to Drive a Lawn Tractor
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Computer and Social Media Skills
- Customer service oriented
- Interest, education and experience with historical settings and facilities maintenance are considered assets
- Current Emergency First Aid & CPR or willingness to obtain
How To Apply
Please submit your resume before 12:00pm Thursday February 9th, 2023, to:
Director of Community Services
5941 Hwy 89, RR 1
Harriston, ON NOG 1ZO
Or fax: 519-338-2005
Or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org